Preview: Chelsea vs Liverpool
Both Chelsea and Liverpool come into this game having experienced disappointing results in their respective Champions League ties. For the Blues, they were beaten by Spanish outfit Valencia for the first time in seven meetings. As for Liverpool, Napoli proved once again to be a stumbling block, just as they did in the group stages last season. And in losing to the Partenopei, the Reds joined fallen giants AC Milan in a much-undesired club - as the first reigning Champions League holder since the Rossoneri did so in the 1994/1995 season to lose their opening group stage match.
So, with that in mind, both sides will be eager to get back to winning ways quickly. Liverpool still do boast a perfect winning record in the Premier League, and that has allowed them to open up a comfortable five point gap over Manchester City. That being said, it's still early in the campaign and having lost just one game last season and it ultimately costing them the title, Liverpool will be loath to give up any points this time around.
Chelsea, meanwhile, are still trying to find their footing under new coach Frank Lampard, who has had to bring in a slew of youth players due to the transfer ban slapped on the London giants. They have showed plenty of promise with young stars like Tammy Abraham and Mason Mount carrying pretty much all of the team's goal-scoring responsibilities in the league, but clearly still have a lot of work to do defensively.
Match facts: Chelsea vs Liverpool
- Chelsea have won just one of their last nine Premier League clashes against Liverpool (D5 L3)
- Meanwhile, Liverpool five of their last 11 trips to Stamford Bridge (W5 D3 L3)...
- ...after historically struggling at this ground. Prior to this, the Reds had won only one of their first 16 Premier League away games against Chelsea (D4 L11)
- The Reds have lost just once in their last 44 Premier League matches (W36 D7 L1) and are unbeaten in their last 22 Premier League games (W18 D4)
- However, Chelsea have a pretty solid record at Stamford Bridge. The Blues have lost just one of their last 24 Premier League games on home turf (W13 D10 L1) and are unbeaten in their most recent 11 ties (W6 D5)
- Carlo Ancelotti was the last Chelsea manager to win upon his first clash against Liverpool in 2009...
- since then, the six managers who have faced Liverpool have failed to beat them (D3 L3)
- Jurgen Klopp has won two of his last four away clashes against Chelsea and will be looking to become the first Liverpool manager to successfully win three times at Stamford Bridge this weekend
Team news: Chelsea vs Liverpool
Chelsea: Ruben Loftus-Cheek is still out. Although German international Antonio Rudiger, featured for the team in their recent win over Wolves, he didn't play the full game. Nor did he feature against Valencia, which indicates he is still not fully recovered from his knee injury - so he could potentially miss out on Sunday's tie.
In addition, youngster Mason Mount suffered a bad injury during his team's defeat to Valencia and is a serious doubt for this match as well.
Meanwhile, star midfielder N'Golo Kante could likely return for this game despite not playing against Valencia as he has now resumed training. Nonetheless, given that he's missed the past handful of matches due to an ankle injury he naturally will have to be evaluated prior to the match.
Liverpool: Alisson, Nathaniel Clyne, and Naby Keita are all still out, despite both Alisson and Keita resuming light training, but Divock Origi could return to the fold for this match.
Where to watch Chelsea vs Liverpool live on September 22, 2019
In the USA, catch Chelsea vs Liverpool on NBCSN, SiriusXM FC, Telemundo, NBCSports.com, NBC Sports App, and Telemundo Deportes En Vivo.
Can't make it to Stamford Bridge? Fans in the UK can tune in SKY GO Extra, BBC Radio 5 Live, Sky Sports Premier League, and Sky Sports Main Event.
Live elsewhere? Here are your options to watch Chelsea vs Liverpool:
Chelsea vs Liverpool Broadcast Information
Stadium: Stamford Bridge (London)
France: RMC Sport 1, RMC Sport en direct, Canal+ France
Germany: Sky Sport 1 HD, Sky Go
India: Hotstar VIP, Star Sports Select HD2, Star Sports Select 2
Indonesia: Mola TV
Malaysia: Astro Go, Astro SuperSport 3
Netherlands: Ziggo Sport 14, Ziggo Sport Select
Nigeria: SuperSport 3 Africa, Canal+ Sport 1 Afrique
Portugal: Sport TV LIVE, Sport TV1
Spain: DAZN Spain
Turkey: Idman TV, TRT Spor, S Sport+
United Kingdom: Sky Sports Main Event, Sky Go UK, BBC Radio 5 Live, Sky Sports Premier League, NOW TV, SKY GO Extra
United States: fuboTV, Telemundo Deportes En Vivo, SiriusXM FC, Telemundo, NBC Sports App, NBCSN, NBCSports.com