French striker Antoine Griezmann is on the verge of sealing a move to Barcelona, Atlético Madrid chief Gil Marin has revealed.
Prior to the end of the 2018/2019 season, the 27-year-old striker revealed his intention to end his five-year spell with Los Rojiblancos. Amid reported interest from the likes of Manchester United and Paris Saint-Germain, the destination of the World Cup winner was quite obvious as he came close to joining the Blaugrana last summer.
Nevertheless, recent speculation suggested that the Catalans were skeptical about making a move for Griezmann. This came on the back of the news that a few senior figures in the dressing room, including Lionel Messi, fancied the idea of the club bringing Neymar Jr back to Camp Nou.
With the rumors refusing to die down, Atlético Madrid CEO Miguel Ángel Gil Marín has all but confirmed Antoine Griezmann's move to Barcelona this summer. According to him, the move is an open secret as the club has known for a while now.
"We known since last March that Griezmann is going to Barcelona", Gil Marin reportedly told Sport.
Mundo Deportivo also claims that Barcelona will make a swoop for Griezmann when his release clause drops to £105 million on July 1. The French attacker is expected to accept the personal terms he agreed with Barcelona before his move broke down last year.
Antoine Griezmann to Barcelona, here we go! Gil Marin, Atlético Madrid CEO, has just confirmed the deal: "We know since last March that Griezmann is going to Barcelona", he told to Sport. The agreement is reached as… https://t.co/qY7trv3XUZ— Fabrizio Romano (@FabrizioRomano) June 12, 2019