The most relevant club competition in the CONCACAF region is set to return next semester, and before all the action kicks off, the draw to determine the path each team will need to follow to win the title is set to take place nexrt week.
MLS teams will have an edge over their Liga MX rivals, since there will be five teams competing in this competition. Liga MX will have four teams trying to extend their dominance in this tournament, as no team outside of Mexico has been able to win this tournament since 2005.
This season will bring some new additions to the tournament, as four teams will be making their debut in this competition. LAFC, New York City FC, Portmore United (Jamaica) and San Carlos (Costa Rica) will try to leave a lasting impression in their first CONCACAF Champions League experience.
Here's all you need to know about the draw.
When and where will the 2020 CONCACAF Champions League draw take place?
The draw will take place in Mexico City on Monday, December 9, 2019.
How many teams will participate in the 2020 CONCACAF Champions League?
There will be sixteen teams playing to win the title:
- Liga MX: América (Apertura 2018 champions), Tigres UANL (Clausura 2019 champions), Cruz Azul (Apertura 2019 runners-up) and León (Clausura 2019 runners-up).
- MLS: Seattle Sounders (MLS Cup champions), LAFC (Supporters' Shield champions), New York City FC (Eastern Conference champions), Atlanta United (U.S. Open Cup champions).
- Canada: Montreal Impact* (Canadian champions).
- Jamaica: Portmore United (Caribbean Cup champions).
- Costa Rica: Saprissa (CONCACAF League champions), San Carlos (5th place in the CONCACAF League).
- Honduras: Motagua (CONCACAF League runners-up), Olimpia (3rd place in the CONCACAF League).
- El Salvador: Alianza (4th place in the CONCACAF League).
- Guatemala: Comunicaciones (6th place in the CONCACAF League).
*Montreal Impact is a member of the MLS, but they cannot qualify to this competition via the American league.
What is the 2020 CONCACAF Champions League draw's procedure?
All sixteen teams have been divided into two pots, based on how the spot they were handed by their association has performed in the competition. There will be no games between teams from the same country, which means that León (the only Liga MX side on Pot 2) will not be facing Tigres, América or Cruz Azul.
Pot 1: Cruz Azul, Tigres, América, Montreal Impact, New York City FC, Atlanta United FC, Los Angeles FC, Seattle Sounders.
Pot 2: San Carlos, León, Motagua, Saprissa, Olimpia, Alianza, Comunicaciones, Portmore United).
2020 CONCACAF Champions League key dates
Round of 16: First leg: February 18-20. Second leg: February 25-27.
Quarterfinals: First leg: March 10-12. Second leg: March 17-19.
Semi-finals: First leg: April 7-9. Second leg: April 14-16.
Final: First leg: April 28-30. Second leg: May 5-7, 2020.