Four United States women's football team stars namely Megan Rapinoe, Rose Lavelle, Alex Morgan and Tobin Heath have been included in the official shortlist of players to compete for the 2019 Women's Ballon d'Or. The quartet will contest against 16 other players in the second-ever edition of the awards organised by France Football magazine.
The aforementioned stars were integral members of Jill Ellis' squad that defeated Netherlands to win the 2019 FIFA Women's World Cup in France earlier in July. Justifiably so, all the four players remain among the favourites to scoop the accolade having already won individuals at this summer's finals.
Megan Rapinoe, who recently won the Best Women's Player of the Year, secured the Golden Boot and Golden Ball, Alex Morgan won the Silver Boot whereas Rose Lavelle secures the Bronze Ball. Tobin Heath then shared a spot in the FIFPRO Best XI with the trio.
Netherlands' Vivianne Miedema, Lieke Martens, and Sari van Veenendaal are among the others shortlisted while England pair Lucy Bronze and Ellen White were also featured. Below are the 20 nominees for the awards category:
1. Kosovare Asllani (CD Tacon/Sweden)
2. Ada Hegerberg (Lyon/Norway)
3. Tobin Heath (Portland Thorns/USA)
4. Sofia Jakobsson (CD Tacion/Sweden)
5. Rose Lavelle (Washington Spirit/USA)
6. Marta (Orlando Pride/Brazil)
7. Lieke Martens (Barcelona/Netherlands)
8. Megan Rapinoe (Reign FC/USA)
9. Wendie Renard (Lyon/France)
10. Sari van Veenendal (Atlético Madrid/Netherlands)
11. Sarah Bouhaddi (Lyon/France)
12. Lucy Bronze (Lyon/England)
13. Nilla Fischer (Linköpings/Sweden)
14. Pernille Harder (VfL Wolfsburg/Denmark)
15. Amandine Henry (Lyon/France)
16. Sam Kerr (Chicago Red Stars/Australia)
17. Dzsenifer Marozsan (Lyon/Germany)
18. Viviane Miedema (Arsenal/Netherlands)
19. Alex Morgan (Orlando Pride/USA)
20. Ellen White (Manchester City/England)