France Football has released the names of 10 goalkeepers to compete for the maiden edition of the Yacine Trophy. The award which is named after former Soviet Union and Dynamo Moscow goalkeeper Lev Yashin will be awarded to the standout shot-stopper at the Ballon d'Or awards ceremony which will take place on December 2, 2019.
Since the name-bearer scooped the coveted Ballon d'Or in 1963, no other goalie has been able to replicate the feat. The competition served up by outfield players presented the need for France Football magazine to design the global award category to recognise the safest pair of hands.
Having won the UEFA Champions League and the Copa America with Liverpool and Brazil this year, Alisson Becker is in the running to scoop the inaugural edition of the award. The 27-year-old shot-stopper was also featured in the 30-man shortlist for this year's Ballon d'Or.
The very first Yachine Trophy nominees list is out!— #BallondOr (@francefootball) October 21, 2019
Jan Oblak @Atleti
Kepa Arrizabalaga @ChelseaFC
Samir Handanovic @Inter
Hugo Lloris @SpursOfficial
Marc-André ter Stegen @FCBarcelona#ballondor #yachinetrophy
Joining the Reds' goalkeeper on the 10-man shortlist is German pair Manuel Neuer and Marc-Andre ter Stegen. Premier League winner with Manchester City Ederson and UEFA Champions League finalist with Tottenham Hotspur Hugo Lloris are also among the contingents.
Below are the 10 goalkeepers shortlisted for the 2019 Yachine Trophy:
1. Andre Onana (Cameroon/Ajax)
2. Wojciech Szczesny (Poland/Juventus)
3. Jan Oblak (Slovenia/Atletico Madrid)
4. Kepa Arrizabalaga (Spain/Chelsea)
5. Samir Handanovic (Slovenia/Inter Milan)
6. Hugo Lloris (France/Inter Milan)
7. Marc-Andre ter Stegen (Germany/Barcelona)
8. Alisson Becker (Brazil/Liverpool)
9. Ederson (Brazil/Manchester City)
10. Manuel Neuer (Germany/Bayern Munich)