Via a record-breaking poll on their website, UEFA has finally revealed the 2017 Team of the Year a few hours ago.
Five Real Madrid players were included in the all-star cast. Sergio Ramos, Luka Modric, Toni Kroos, Marcelo and Cristiano Ronaldo were the ones to represent the back-to-back UEFA Champions League winners, who will be facing PSG in the Round of 16 of the competition next month.
Gianluigi Buffon, Giorgio Chiellini, Dani Alves, Kevin de Bruyne, Eden Hazard and Lionel Messi completed the list of players.
Curiously enough, Sergio Ramos was the most voted player around the world, with Marcelo and Lionel Messi completing the podium.
Facts about the 2017 UEFA Team of the Year
- Gianluigi Buffon is the oldest player to get picked.
- Dani Alves has been elected to "play" in the Team of the Year with three different teams (Sevilla and Barcelona previously).
- Sergio Ramos has been included seven times in the XI, the most for any center back in history.
- Kevin de Bruyne is the first Man City player in history to make the Team of the Year.
- Cristiano Ronaldo owns the record for most Team of the Year elections with 12 nods.